26.8.09

Lazy lunch

After staying up until 3am or so watching monster movies, I think it is acceptable to wake up at 10am and then not eat until 2pm. It seems like the proper way to do things. Technically, I suppose you could call this breakfast, but since I am having a glass of wine with it (stop judging! it is 2pm and wine makes me feel less hatred for the fact that I have to go to the old house and move my freakishly heavy dressers over later today.) I am calling it lunch.

 
Given that my craving for curry was becoming overwhelming and I wasn't going to have any until tomorrow night when I make dinner for my dearlovelypal Wendy and Le Boyfriend, I gave in. It could be more panang-y, but whatever. It is delicious and it is in my mouth right now and I am pleased. 
There seriously isn't really a recipe for this, I don't think, unless you count a scavenging of the cupboards and subsequent plate of nutrition a recipe. Half a can of coconut milk, one small diced yellow potato, a clove of chopped garlic, 3 rounds of chopped sweet onion, handful of chopped basil, half a chicken breast, 1 tablespoon panang curry paste: cook for 20 minutes and eat over rice.

Sort of sweet, sort of spicy, mega delicious. MEGA. My favorite panang curry paste for the money is the one from Thai Kitchen, but that's also because it's the most widely available.
It's only a few bucks and if you're all by your lonesome, it will last you a few months in the fridge. My friend Wesa first introduced me to panang curry over dinner at her apartment with her husband Carl. To date, it is still the best panang curry I have ever had, but this stuff doesn't do too badly if you're unable to find kaffir lime leaves in your area. I'm pretty sure that my neighborhood does offer such bounties, but since I am a hobbled recluse this week, I probably won't be walking to any of the groceries to find out.

Speaking of my neighborhood, check out how awesome it is! We have two cupcake shops, incredible pizza, an amazing pet supply store, a bunch of cafes and coffee shops and tons more including art galleries, a tequila bar, gourmet grocers and the beach is just down the hill. Overall, it's a happy little place with a lot of wonderful people and amenities and the sense of community here is much different than my last neighborhood. You should come visit sometime. We'll go eat a cupcake. Goodness knows we have choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment