28.8.09

Perfection

My friend Wendy came over last night for dinner. I met her in my first quarter of school last year in English class. Our teacher referred to us as "the gingers" on account of our red hairs and constantly poked fun at us and guffawed appropriately when we were very sarcastic and wry. We became incredibly close friends almost immediately and it turns out that if you put us together, it's like puzzle pieces for the most awesome lady ever locking in. Kind of like forming a mecha robot of AWESOME. We're twins on the inside and pass for sisterly sorts on the outside, so we get along famously. It was an incredibly pleasant surprise to be able to add her to the (rather large) handful of gorgeous ladies that I consider my closest friends. 


We haven't been able to see each other as often as we'd like due to life being life and all, so it was especially sweet to be able to have her over for an evening. When she arrived, the dog barked at her until she felt she'd been petted enough, then took up residence on her lap as I handed her a glass of wine and said something like, "Here. Drink this." While we talked and I made dinner, I set her up with the dvd my aunt and uncle made of our family videos from 1985-1987, namely the Easter video from when I was 8. There's a special gem in that video showing that I have always been the same person, just smaller. The highlight is when I am sitting at the dining table coloring a picture outline on the back of my chocolate Easter bunny's box. My aunt has the camera and asks what I am doing. 


"Coloring." 
"Ohhhhhhh. What are you coloring?"
".......Something on the back of a box."
My reply was so flat and so "Ugh DUH!" that my parents can be heard repeating it in the background. "What did she say?" "Jeri asked her what she was coloring *laugh* and she said SOMETHING ON THE BACK OF A BOX." "Something on the back of a box?" "Yeah. Just something on the back of a box." 
*sigh*


I don't try to be impossible. Truly I don't. When Wendy saw this exchange, she laughed so hard that her hand flew up over her mouth and she kind of keeled to the side a little bit. Glorious. Nick arrived shortly after and we sat down in my living room for dinner, where I told him that I'd shown her the home movie. 
"Oh yeah? SOMETHING ON THE BACK OF A BOX! Pffffft," he sneered. He loves me for these things. He must. I can't imagine why else he'd stick around. We drank our wine and talked some more and finished our dinner and then I picked that little dog of mine up, sat her in my lap like a human baby and made up a song about her bald tummy and they both laughed at me and called me a freak. This is my life, people. It could be better (I COULD HAVE A KITCHENAID STAND MIXER) but man, could it ever be so, so much worse.
A lovely night with lovely people in my tiny, weird little apartment. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment